Assessment and Accountability
The State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) program, which was implemented in spring 2012, includes annual assessments for
- reading and mathematics, grades 3–8
- writing at grades 4 and 7
- science at grades 5 and 8
- social studies at grade 8
- end-of-course (EOC) assessments for Algebra I, Biology, English I, English II, and U.S History.
Beginning in spring 2016, STAAR English III and Algebra II will be available for districts to administer as optional assessments.
To assist districts with the task of helping parents understand their child's TELPAS test results, the Student Assessment Division has developed a PDF brochure entitled "Understanding the Confidential Student Report - A Guide for Parents." This brochure has three purposes:
- To give you some basic information about TELPAS,
- To explain a sample test report so that you can understand your child’s actual test report,
- To provide you with a short summary of each proficiency rating so that you will better understand the progress your child is making in learning English.