Assessment and Accountability
The State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) program, which was implemented in spring 2012, includes annual assessments for:
- reading and mathematics, grades 3–8
- science at grades 5 and 8
- social studies at grade 8
- end-of-course (EOC) assessments for Algebra I, Biology, English I, English II, and U.S History.
Beginning in spring 2022, all STAAR assessments will be administered online
To assist districts with the task of helping parents understand their child's TELPAS test results, the Student Assessment Division has developed a PDF brochure entitled "Understanding the Confidential Student Report - A Guide for Parents." This brochure has three purposes:
- To give you some basic information about TELPAS,
- To explain a sample test report so that you can understand your child’s actual test report,
- To provide you with a short summary of each proficiency rating so that you will better understand the progress your child is making in learning English.