Substituting at QISD
Quinlan ISD welcomes dedicated individuals willing to serve as substitute teachers in our school district.
Nationwide the average student spends a cumulative time of one complete school year under the care of a substitute teacher during his/her K-12 educational experience.
THINGS TO REALIZE ABOUT SUBSTITUTING
Be flexible and expect calls for work at all hours.
- Be self-motivated.
- There is no guaranteed number of days that the substitute will be able to work. The substitute's job is reliant on the teacher being out of class, either through illness or staff development training.
- Be prepared to handle discipline issues in the classroom. Students will "challenge" a substitute just like they do a teacher.
- Always follow the lesson plans left by the teacher, but be prepared to improvise appropriate lessons if there are not adequate lesson plans.
- Keep up with the required paperwork: attendance, homework collection, etc.
- Realize that you are the teacher while in the classroom with all of the duties and responsibilities that accompany that title.
- Realize that substituting is an opportunity to touch lives and make an impact on your students.
- Dress appropriately.
- Realize that substituting in the Quinlan Independent School District is a teaching opportunity.
QISD SUBSTITUTE TEACHER QUALIFICATIONS
In order to qualify as a substitute teacher in Quinlan ISD, the following apply:
Must be 18 years of age or older
- Be a high school graduate
- Be accessible by telephone
- Successfully complete a criminal history background check
- Successfully complete the Substitute Orientation/Training Course
For more information, call or visit the:
Quinlan Independent School District
401 East Richmond St.
Quinlan, Texas 75474
Short term substitute teachers receive pay based on the following scale for a full day of substituting:
- Substitute for Aides: $55.00
High School Diploma: $60.00
- Four-year College Degree: $75.00
- Teaching Certificate, Master's or Doctorate Degree: $90.00
For more information, feel free to call the Quinlan Independent School District Human Resource office at (903) 356-1200.